Wednesday, February 29, 2012

50 Book Pledge #6: Philip Pullman — The Golden Compass


Having seen and quickly forgotten the decent 2007 adaptation of this book, I never got around to its source material, which is a shame because I would have treasured this as a teenager. An accessible fantasy book warning against religion, The Golden Compass could have helped my rough transition into atheism by giving me a storytelling backup, not merely the boring den of facts. And I must say, it's a fantastically swift read, even taking into account I'm an adult and this book can be easily read by children. The narrative momentum never falters in this first installment, and I more or less plunged headlong into the next installment the second I finished.

1 comment:

  1. Loved The Golden Compass (book). Massively addicting read and like you I raced through it and on to the second one. Oddly enough, I've never gotten round to the third one, which people keep on telling me is a much more densely packed story.

    ReplyDelete